Re: Network Manager Wifi thoughts

Ryan Novosielski <novosirj <at> umdnj.edu> writes:

> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 11:52 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:

[...]

> > -- CUT --
> > The big question I have is "What does Vista do?"  Vista has a feature
> > where it _does_ show a little globe over the device icon in the system
> > tray when it has determined that you are connected to the Internet, and
> > not just your local network.  That said, it's pretty flaky and drops out
> > quite a bit.
>
> XP does this too, and warns about when an internet connection is
> marginal. I'd be really interested to know how it knows (it's typically
> correct!).

I stumbled on a strange web-request that hit my »free wifi« captive portal
when I inspected my syslog. It is a simple HTTP request for
http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

Details are here:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/3e2d2dc5-c802-411e-9be4-
dd29ec86c9351033.mspx?mfr=true