D-Bus permissions on Debian-based systems

Hi,

I spent half of yesterday banging my head on a desk trying to get the
D-Bus permissions correct for Ubuntu 8.04.  Can somebody explain exactly
how the D-Bus permissions for NM on Debian-based systems are supposed to
work?  It's all group-based, right?  For example, my current
understanding is that the applet's permissions file should have
group="netdev".  But AFAIK, allowing 'root' to own a service should be
universal.

Some of it might have to do with D-Bus not correctly handling permission
file changes underneath it while it's running, sometimes requiring a
SIGHUP to completely re-read the policy after doing a 'make install'.
That happens everywhere.

But the more frustrating thing was nm-dhcp-client.conf, which allows
'root' to own the service but apparently that's not correct
out-of-the-box on Ubuntu 8.04.  Does debian's dhclient drop privileges
after binding to the port?  What user should nm-dhcp-client.action use?

So far we have:

NetworkManager.conf - should be owned by 'root' and nobody else, but
should allow console/privileged users to talk to it.  I assume that
means that debian wants group="netdev" in addition to at_console.

nm-applet.conf - should allow console users to own the service, should
allow anyone to query the service, but should ONLY allow root (ie, NM)
to ask for secrets

nm-dhcp-client.conf - should allow the user that dhclient runs as to own
the service

nm-dispatcher.conf - should allow 'root' to own the service

nm-openvpn-service.conf - should allow 'root' to own the service

nm-system-settings.conf - should allow root to own the service, should
allow anyone to query the service, but should ONLY allow root (ie, NM)
to ask for secrets

nm-vpnc-service.conf - should allow 'root' to own the service

I'd like to get the required changes to the D-Bus permissions files
upstream.

I know I could have pulled stuff from somebody's PPA (and I did pull
dbus-glib, thanks!) but the point is, of course, to make NM easier to
both install from source, and easier for packagers to package on
Debian-based distros.