Re: disconnecting from current wifi network

> Ok; what's the use-case here?  If you're not connected to a wireless
> network, you're not using the device, and not much useful can be done
> with it.  If you'd like to use it for sniffing or monitor mode or
> whatever, you want to unmanage the device from NM.

Personally, I just want to be disconnected but able to reconnect fast.
There are a lot of What-Ifs to it as well, such as being offline and
wanting to see if a friend's Wifi is online, etc...

Unmanaging the device is not a solution in this case, since I want to
be able to reconnect fast when I feel like it.

> You shouldn't need to unplug your wifi adapter, disable wireless should
> be enough.  If it's not, then your driver needs to be fixed.

Disabling Wireless and reenabling it automatically reconnects me to
the last used network, unless it doesn't detect a connection - that's
what I could gather from it.

> The real question is how this plays with automatic connection.
> Currently, if you were to tear down that connection, NM would simply
> re-activate it, because that AP is available and it's likely the best
> connection to use.  Were NM to somehow mark that connection, and not
> re-connect automatically, that's just confusing, because the connection
> probably has "autoconnect" set to TRUE, but NM isn't autoconnecting to
> it.  When you want to connect to the network again, what do you do?  How
> does the connection get back to "reconnect automatically?"

I understand. What I was thinking of was simply temporarily setting
autoconnect to false, until next connection.

> I guess I'd need to hear more about the use-cases.  It seems like you do
> want to set Wireless Enabled to off.

Wireless off is not what I want, for reasons you described above. For
myself, it's nowhere near important; but I wouldn't be here writing
this mail if I didn't see it popular on UBS :)

--
Adys