Disconnecting from current wifi network

Hi!
I haven't been following this list for very long - apologies in
advance since this subject probably already came up.

For multiple reasons, I may want to disconnect from my current wifi
network without connecting to another one, but keeping wireless on.
Doing so currently requires me to disable wireless, unplug my wifi
key, replug my wifi key, reenable wireless.

Seeing it recently came up as popular on the Ubuntu Brainstorm website
(http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8612/), I guess I'm not the only
one having such problems. Are there any plans to add this little
feature? If not - why, and can it be added externally?

Thanks

--
Adys