Re: multiple-device questions

Dan Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 02:12 -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
What are the plans for UI for controlling multiple-device behavior?

There's an applet re-write on the table for 0.7.1.   The current
menu-based design pretty much falls over for multiple devices.

Right now nm-applet just connects to all networks that have automatic
configurations.  This is potentially confusing.  A few people have filed
bugs or asked questions on this list.

Right; though this isn't so much different than current networking
systems.  If you want complete manual control of your connecitons, then
you don't mark those connections as "autoconnect", and then you get to
manually activate and deactivate those connections as you see fit.

If the fastest device does not have a gateway defined (none offered by
DHCP, link-local only, or none configured in static config) will NM
choose a slower device for the default route?

Yes.

What signaling is given the listeners (like Pidgin or Evolution) when a
device goes down but there are other devices up?

As Tambet said, there are two mechanisms:

a) Simple overall network state such as DISCONNECTED, CONNECTING, and
CONNECTED, which is a composite of all the current device states.  If at
least one device is connected and there is a default route, the state
will be CONNECTED.

b) The ActiveConnection API.  Each current connection has an
ActiveConnection object which clients can use to figure out the state of
individual network connections and devices.  Each active connection has
one or more devices assigned to it, and a device cannot be assigned to
more than one active connection.  It's important to remember that NM
deals with _connections_, not really individual devices, though NM does
provide state for individual devices as well.

Is the signaling different when it's the default route (or not) that has
gone down?

Yes; you get org.freedesktop.DBus.PropertyChanged signals for the
ActiveConnection objects when their 'default' property changes.  Only
one ActiveConnection object will have a True 'default' property, and
that is the connection that has the default route.

That is my issue at the moment, you can't have 2 different isp's default gateways active at the same time without intervention. I'm testing with 2 wired nic's connected to the same LAN, if I do a ping/traceroute stating the interface to use, only the one that has the gateway will reach the internet. I have to issue an "ip route replace table main nexthop via <gw> dev eth0 nexthop via <gw2> dev eth1" in order to have both gateways active at the same time. I have not read though all the source yet, got some pointers to the code involved, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Jerry