Re: Any success stories with latest SVNs on Ubuntu 8.04?

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Kenneth Crudup <kenny panix com> wrote:

>  ... anyone?
>
>  I've been pulling SVN regularly, applied all the Ubuntu-specific patches
>  or changes I could find, and yet I can't get this thing to let me select
>  what wired or wireless network I want via nm-applet.
>
>  All I get are grayed-out entries for "Wired" and "Wireless Networks",
>  nm-applet sometimes saves the networks I create, and sometimes not, and
>  in either case nm-applet doesn't see them as connection possibilities.
>
>  I used those files Tambet sent me and they're not seen by nm-applet.
>  I've even gone so far as to change anything that says "deny" related
>  to NM in /etc/dbus-1/system.d to "allow", nothing.
>
>  If anyone's got this running the SVN stuff running on a recent Ubuntu
>  build, *please* let me know.  I've been doing SW for a long time, but
>  I'm stuck. /etc/network/interfaces is wiped out save "auto lo".
>
>  Is there anything more to pull down than gnome-common, NetworkManager
>  and network-manager-applet?
>
>  I do have a wired connection and it's running, but it didn't come out
>  of being selected by nm-applet.
>
>  Also, why is it constantly trying to "start the supplicant" (even on an
>  active wired connection), and evidently failing (and I've updated
>  wpa_supplicant to v0.5.10).
>
>  Thanks guys,
>
>         -Kenny
>
>  --
>  Kenneth R. Crudup  Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
>  O: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809      (888) 454-8181

You need to have WPA_Supplicant > .6.0.   I did the following to get it to work:

1) Installed WPA_Supplicant from Debian Testing (Not always a good
idea btw ;-) )
2) Used Michael's debian SID repo to rebuild it for Ubuntu.

I think I had to empty out /etc/network/interfaces and also modify the
DBUS permissions for the Network Manager DHCP service (I need to
validate this and send it to Michael in case it also applies to
Debian.)

After that everything worked great.

I just reloaded my laptop so I will make notes on how I got NM 0.7 to
work and post them here from installing it here.