Re: PATCH: Support for Bluetooth NAP devices

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel holtmann org> wrote:
> Hi Nathaniel,
>
>> Bluetooth NAP devices are pretty simple really.   You connect and (at
>> least in Linux) they emulate an ethernet device.
>>
>> However, NetworkManager doesn't work with these devices because HAL
>> gives them the capability and category of "net.bluetooth".  Attached
>> are a patch and a HAL fdi file.  To connect to a Bluetooth NAP device
>> on Linux, do:
>> pand -n -c $BSSID -d NAP
>
> the pand program is deprecated btw. You should look into the Bluetooth
> network service.

Doesn't the bluetooth network service use the bnep kernel module?
Is the bnep kernel module deprecated?

>> With the attached patch/fdi file, NetworkManager will automatically
>> pick up the device and use it when connected.
>
> What is the FDI file for? I don't see its need, because HAL already
> perfectly classifies the bnepX interfaces.

from src/nm-hal-manager.c:

static char *
nm_get_device_driver_name (LibHalContext *ctx, const char *udi)
{
        char *origdev_udi;
        char *driver_name = NULL;

        origdev_udi = libhal_device_get_property_string (ctx, udi,
"net.originating_device", NULL);
        if (!origdev_udi) {
                /* Older HAL uses 'physical_device' */
                origdev_udi = libhal_device_get_property_string (ctx,
udi, "net.physical_device", NULL);
        }

        if (origdev_udi && libhal_device_property_exists (ctx,
origdev_udi, "info.linux.driver", NULL)) {
                char *drv = libhal_device_get_property_string (ctx,
origdev_udi, "info.linux.driver", NULL);
                driver_name = g_strdup (drv);
                libhal_free_string (drv);
        }
        libhal_free_string (origdev_udi);

        return driver_name;
}

# device fails to create if driver doesn't exist
driver = nm_get_device_driver_name (priv->hal_ctx, udi);
device = (GObject *) nm_device_802_3_ethernet_new (udi, iface, driver, managed);