NM-0.6.6: Cancel 'Wireless Key Required' Dialog, can't connect again...

We've run into a network-manager ( 0.6.6 ) bug in Ubuntu 8.04 ( it actually was reported in a pre-release version of 7.10 ):

If a user cancels the 'Wireless Network Key Required' dialog, when they try to re-connect to the same access point, nothing seems to happen.

http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/124706

I've traced this to the logic that handles the applet's cancel response to a getKeyForNetwork method. The code adds the AP to the invalid_ap_list in an attempt to break what sounds like an infinite re-try loop ( ie. if the user cancels the dialog, without this code, the dialog would be re-displayed again ).

Any help with approaches to fixing this would be most appreciated. I took a look at the latest NM code in the svn trunk, but it's been heavily re-factored...

Thanks,
/tony

p.s. for convience, here's the last comment to the bug:

-------

I ran into this while testing Ubuntu Mobile. We have a private bug that's been reported about this behavior ( ie. hit cancel on passphrase dialog, can't connect on next try ).

The red herring exists in the file nm_dbus_nmi.c, in the function nm_dbus_get_wireless_user_key_done(), lines: 66-72:

-------

/* FIXME: since we're not marking the device as invalid, it's a fair bet
 * that NM will just try to reactivate the device again, and may fail
 * to get the user key in exactly the same way, which ends up right back
 * here... ad nauseaum. Figure out how to deal with a failure here.
 */

nm_ap_list_append_ap (data->invalid_ap_list, ap);

--------

This code is run when the response from the NMI:getKeyForNetwork dbus message is received with the error NMI_DBUS_USER_KEY_CANCELED_ERROR.

If the user tries to connect to the same network again, since the ap is on the invalid_ap_list, you see the following error in the log:

Dec 16 11:31:07 jens-laptop NetworkManager: <info> SWITCH: terminating current connection 'wlan0' because it's no longer valid.

I'll ping upstream and see if I can get any suggestions on how to work around this problem.