Re: I might be asking for DHCP support, but I'm not sure

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 09:20 -0400, Matt Burkhardt wrote:
> Basically, I have three computers - two laptops and a server.  They
> all hook up to my Linksys Wireless Router fine, but they get different
> IP addresses at different times.

Right; this is normal for DHCP depending on which client requests
addresses at which times.  If your laptop requests an address before the
desktop, the laptop will generally get the lower address.

> I would like to say connect to "MyServer" and have it find out the IP
> address in the router.  I have DHCP turned on in the router, but I
> think I need to set up NetworkManager to use a dhclient.  Is that what
> I want to do?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

NM should already use DHCP by default.  You can either set up each
machine to have a static IP address, or sometimes the Linksys can do
"Static DHCP" where it assigns the same IP address each time based on
the MAC address of the machine.  That's probably in the management
interface somewhere; try poking around.

Dan