Re: Interface hotplugging and priorities

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 15:20 +0200, Aldric Degorre wrote:
> Hi.
>
> When I connect my SE cell phone to my USB port, like most newer cell phones,
> it will create a network device (usb0) which can be used for accessing
> internet via 3G/UMTS wireless network (or GPRS when no 3G available).
> It is great that NetworkManager makes it possible to use it right away, just
> by selecting usb0 in the menu (no configuration needed).
>
> However NetworkManager will in fact switch to usb0 as the main route to
> internet as soon as the cell phone is plugged, without asking me first. As
> 3G connections are still kind of expansive nowadays, I would prefer going
> on using my WiFi/ADSL connection, specially when the only reason I plugged
> my cell phone was to recharge its battery.
>
> Is there a way to specify that NM should behave as I want ? Shouldn't be
> that behavior the default, anyway ?
> (Maybe should I specify that I use Ubuntu Hardy, which still uses NM 0.6 if
> I am not mistaken... maybe the default behavior did actually change ?)

Yeah, 0.6 won't work so well for you here.  0.7 has the option to tie
connections to a specific MAC address, and then you could set
autoconnect=FALSE for that MAC-locked connection, which would cause NM
to only bring it up when you click it manually.

With the usb0 cellular connection, is the computer expected to use DHCP
to acquire an IP address?