Re: DNS-servers not from DHCP

Dan Williams wrote:
Not at the moment; this nameserver obviously wouldn't be valid for a VPN
connection in almost all circumstances.  How many connections do you
have?  Is it a huge problem to just set the nameserver and domain for
each of them?  If you had 20 connections yeah that would sort of suck...

My situation is that I would like our laptop users to always be able to use the short name of our public servers when on the road. So I have "cora.nwra.com" appended to the search list. Previously I just put this in /etc/dhclient.conf. Now I have to make /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf, /etc/dhclient-eth1.conf, /etc/dhclient-wlan0.conf, etc. I think that may cover it for now, so it is manageable, but the previous behavior (using dhclient.conf) was easier.

I also add our public nameserver because their have been occasions where the assigned ones were flakey. Not sure if it really helps or not.

I also put in:

send dhcp-client-identifier "<hostname>";

so that our DHCP server hands out the same ip no matter how they connect (built-in, dock, wireless).

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion cora nwra com