Re: NetworkManager with multiple wireless cards

Dan Williams wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to enter the interface name?

No, because interface names are not universally stable; and ideally you
never have to care what the interface name actually is.  At least the
MAC address is often printed on the card/dongle itself, but "wlan11"
never will be.

MAC addresses aren't completely stable either (if you spoof another MAC
for example), but they are stable at boot time and when HAL probes the
device.

Ok, I agree that the MAC address is a better and more unique way of identifying the card.
I guess that having a list where to pick the MAC address from (showing the name too) would be all it is needed. Like a drop down menu.

Anyway now I've create 2 entries with different MAC and it works.

What is misleading is that there are one list of networks per card, so one expects that the network is connected only on the selected card. Shouldn't NM set the MAC address automatically when it create an entry automatically?

Maybe; but if you change wireless cards then you'd have to go back
through and update the MAC in each connection for the new card, which
would suck.  I think that case is /probably/ more frequent than the case
of using two wireless cards in the same machine; who knows.

Maybe a dialog for each new automatic connection asking whether to bind to a specific card?

Or there should be only 1 list of all networks available regardless of the card.

We can't really do that because cards have different capabilities
(encryption, band, 802.11n).  Leads to situations where it's unclear
which card the connection will be activated on.

I see it is not that easy and trivial.
In that case there could be an advanced option that can be used to change the default route among the existing connection, just to let people to change it.
And when that interface goes down, the usual default could be used.

Thanks for your explanation.

Andrea