Re: Network Manager for embedded Linux

Hello Dan,

--- On Thu, 5/6/08, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> From: Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
> Subject: Re: Network Manager for embedded Linux
> To: nitinm76 yahoo com
> Cc: networkmanager-list gnome org
> Date: Thursday, 5 June, 2008, 11:10 PM
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 00:13 -0700, Nitin Mahajan wrote:
> > HI!
> >
> > I am planning to build and test the Network Manager
> 0.6.5 for embedded Linux for a MIPS based CPU.
>
> Any particular reason you wouldn't use 0.7?

There is no specific reason to use 0.6.5, its just that I found it to be the latest release. If you suggest that 0.7 would be more suitable for embedded system, then I will try 0.7 instead.

 0.7 is a
> lot more flexible
> and probably more suited for embedded systems where you
> likely want more
> control over the network configuration.
>
> Also, are you planning on just using the NM daemon, or do
> you want to
> use the GNOME applet too?

I just want to use the NM daemon, assuming that it would be enough of automatic network configuration. I would be using it on a single user embedded Linux device, no use case of multiuser. In this case, still do I need the gnome applet? More over I would not have Gnome environment on the device nor I would have GTK.

But I would like to have the authentication mechanism for the wireless, atleast WEP and WPA to begin with.
With this use case scenario, can you please tell me if I can use the Network Manager and by excluding and including which components in configuration? Do I also need some kind of Keyring Manager? Which one would be suitable if I don't have Gnome?

> > Can anyone give me some inputs about configuration and
> dependencies when trying to do so? What do I specify for
> --with-distro in configuration?
>
> You could create your own distro target.  It mainly affects
> what backend
> is used for some IP configuration (see src/backends/*) and
> not much
> else.  On 0.7 the distro-specific backends are pretty much
> empty because
> we've been able to generalize most of it, so you
> wouldn't have to do
> much work on 0.7.
>
> If you're just using NetworkManager, then you'll
> need bits like libnl,
> glib2, and dbus-glib.  The configure script will tell you
> if you're
> missing anything.  I could go into more details about the
> dependencies,
> but that would depend on whether you'd like to use
> 0.6.6 or 0.7-pre.

In a reply to my previous post someone pointed out that I would also need a cryptographic library. Can I avoid the functionality that needs the cryptographic libraries, to begin with. I do have OpenSSL on my device but dont have GNU TLS or Mozillaa NSS. Did you guys find GNU TLS and Mozialla NSS to be better than OpenSSL?

Thanks for all your valuable inputs,

regards

-Nitin