Re: openvpn and network manager

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Dan Williams wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 10:34 +0300, Dimitris Zilaskos wrote:

Yeah, I poked at this some ago.  The issue here is that since TAP looks
like an ethernet device, it doesn't have the same IP configuration
characteristics as TUN devices do.  In the TAP case, you can also do
DHCP over the TAP interface and get an IP that way too, or you can use
static IP, or you can have the server push the IP down I think.

There was also a lot of stuff about bridging in some of the HOWTOs that
I read about TAP-mode.  Do you have to set up bridging to use openvpn
TAP mode on the client?  It wasn't clear to me if that was required or
not.

 	I do not think so. I use tap and I have not setup a bridge.

Ok, good :)  Do you use DHCP on the tap interface?

No, my ip is assigned to my certificate DN by the openvpn server.

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece
PGP key : http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
	  http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
MD5sum  : de2bd8f73d545f0e4caf3096894ad83f  pgp_public_key.asc