Re: [REQUEST] Mobile Broadband

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 16:57 +0100, André Lemos wrote:
> Tambet Ingo wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM, André Lemos <tux tuxslare org> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any technical reason why the signal strength isn't implemented for
> > > Mobile Broadband?
> > >

> > Yes.
> >

> > > The command is:
> > >
> > > at+csq
> > >
> > > +CSQ: 12,99
> > >

> > It would be especially useful for when connected, and different cards
> > have different ways to do it. Some devices have two serial devices
> > (although the output format differs), some have a proprietary (non AT
> > command based) binary interface for it, some have just one device and
> > have some sort of multiplexing. The current modem handling code is
> > very basic and it doesn't handle non standard (defacto) operations.
> > I'm working on it right now and should have something to share very
> > soon.
> >
> > Tambet
> >

> Ok!
>
> Let me know if I can help.

We need to start tagging the tty ports in HAL according to what they
support on a particular tty.  There are two classes of AT-command ports,
the first is the primary port that you use and do PPP on, the second is
the secondary port that you can do AT commands on when PPP is in-use on
the primary port.

We need to come up with names to use to tag these ports in HAL, then
apply them in the FDI files.  Then, NetworkManager or whatever can
automagically detect what port to start doing AT+CSQ on while PPP is
already connected.

We don't currently keep the tty open when not doing connected, because
that exclusively locks the port all the time.  So we should probably try
to periodically (every 30s or so?) open the primary port when not
connected and try to get signal strength and the association status from
the card so we can show that in the UI.  Then while connected, use the
HAL port tags and pull signal strength off the secondary ports for cards
that have them.