Re: Trivial suggestions for enhancement

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:11:38PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 14:52 +0200, Martin Vidner wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:18:15AM +0200, Tobias Wolf wrote:
> > > Salve,
> > >
> > > regarding naming, layout, and organization in the applet, I have a few
> > > small proposals prepared online:
> > > http://alice-dsl.net/towolf/gnome/reorg.html
>
> Tobias, could you please file separate bugs about those problems?
>
> Note that most of those problems will be fixed in the "future" when the
> NM UI is redesigned.
>
> > This reminds me of a usability study of the new KDE NM applet, JFYI:
> > http://weblog.obso1337.org/2008/expert-review-of-knetworkmanager-07/
>
> I really don't see much in common. Most of the problems listed in the
> KDE applet aren't problems in the GNOME one...

The design of any UI is near difficult.

At one level is the full and complete engineering outline of features.
This is necessary for testing and sanity of maintaining the underlying
code.

The next level is the way end users use it (or should use it).

The should use it part is interesting....  At any application emerges
there is a lot of us that want to explore the features (engineering) view.
Then there is the next stage where end users keep poking at a tool to
get it to work (underlying bugs and stability issues).   Finaly the tool
and the flow merge to match what the end user needs.

I keep poking at it because of link instability when there should not be.
When the underlying stability vanish my activity map will change.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Looking for a place to hang my hat :-(