Re: Reconnecting to wireless network after waking up from suspend-to-ram takes too long

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 21:51 +0200, Peter Roediger wrote:

I'm using Debian/sid with a custom-built kernel (version 2.6.25.4) and
        networkmanager 0.6.6 from the Debian repositories. My wireless
        network card
        is an Intel 3945ABG. I'm using the iwl3945 driver that is
        included with the
        kernel.

        Setting up the internet connection using nm-applet to my
        wireless network
        with WPA encryption works seamlessly. Instead of shutting down
        my laptop I
        am normally just sending it to sleep in order to quickly have it
        back up
        when I need it. The only problem comes up right after waking up:
        Reconnecting to my wireless network takes usually more than one
        minute - a
        really annoying issue. Checking /var/log/syslog the output of NM
        shows the
        following:

        [...log messages deleted...]

        ..and so on. After this, a connection is successfully
        established. Note that
        between "Jul 18 19:32:29 Kati-PC NetworkManager: <info>
        Deactivating device
        eth0." and the next message "Jul 18 19:33:39 Kati-PC
        NetworkManager: <info>
        SWITCH: no current connection, found better connection 'eth1'."
        1 minute and
        10 seconds have passed (though this time period varies). Btw.,
        when trying
        to scan for wireless networks within this time period using
        "iwlist eth1
        scan", it shows me all available networks correctly. Trying to
        manually
        reconnect using the nm-applet is not possible as it does not
        show any
        wireless networks until it reconnects.

        I have another laptop, though with an Intel 2200 wireless card,
        but the same
        kernel version and OS, and there this time period is usually
        down to only 10
        seconds or so, making it reconnect much faster.

        Is there any way, any setting to speed up reconnecting? This is
        really the
        only issue I encounter, otherwise NM works just great.

I often see the same behavior in Fedora 8 (currently
NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.9.svn3675.fc8.x86_64 and also the iwl3945
driver).  (Didn't look at the log messages, but the rest of the
description is accurate for me as well.)
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu