Re: new avahi autoip stuff not working for me

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 19:18 +0200, Björn Martensen wrote:
> hi,
>
> not sure what's wrong here, but after todays change to the autoip code
> (now using avahi-autoipd), nm just gives me a "disconnected"
> notification immediately when i try to activate an autoip connection.
> so i tried running avahi-autoipd in a terminal, which gives me this
> weird error:
>
> $ sudo avahi-autoipd eth0
> Failed to find user 'avahi-autoipd'.
>
> what's with the user thing? is my distro doing stuff wrong and if so,
> what's that? or is avahi broken?

That's probably the issue; avahi-autoipd usually tries to use it's own
user and drop privileges after launch.  Fedora avahi-autoipd package
does:

/usr/sbin/groupadd -f -r avahi-autoipd
/usr/bin/id avahi-autoipd >/dev/null 2>&1 || \
        /usr/sbin/useradd -r -g avahi-autoipd -c 'avahi-autoipd' -s /sbin/nologin -d %{_localstatedir}/lib/avahi-autoipd avahi-autoipd