Re: NM 0.7 Debian Lenny - strangest issue... (Update)

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 04:21:11PM -0400, Daniel Caleb wrote:

> So, it's solved... well, sort of. Maybe this is a known issue, I was
> reading about alot of problems with resolvconf. Basically, today at work
> using a wired connection I was able to reproduce the issue below. Being
> able to connect, get an IP, and even use the IP but completely unable to
> resolve any IP to name. I found I was able to connect flawlessly to
> websites using their specific IP and not the Domain Name. So, that
> pretty much narrows down the problem to a resolving issue with the DNS.
>
> Bottomline, I uninstalled resolvconf - maybe not the most elegant
> solution... but nm 0.7 works fine now. I don't know how long I'll be
> able to leave it like this, but at least the problem is located.
>
> Are there any ideas or workarounds for this situation?

Should you get stuck in a situation where "yum" or another update tool
cannot resolve host names recall that:
     "The options keyword of a system’s resolv.conf file can be
     amended on a per-process basis by setting the environment variable
     “RES_OPTIONS to a space-separated list of” resolver options as
     explained above under options."
It should be possible to hand environment variables to yum (not unlike
info about a proxy server like squid) so that you can pick up updates
to fix this.  It is possible to do this for some of the graphical tools
as well look at right mouse 'properties' of the icons for hints about
what is under the icon.

See "man 5 resolver"

By the same token double check environment variables to make
sure that they are not the issue.  see env and also /proc/nnnn/environ

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Looking for a place to hang my hat :-(