Re: NM 0.7 Debian Lenny - strangest issue...

Dan Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:26 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

2.) If resolvconf is installed, change NM to not manage /etc/resolv.conf itself, but only pass the dns information to resolvconf (which then will write /etc/resolv.conf). The downside is, that resolvconf might have own dns configuration. So the resulting /etc/resolv.conf might differ from what NM expects it to be.

I'm leaning towards 2.), but I'm open to other suggestions and comments.

I'm fine with #2 also; I'll take patches for this upstream.

But I have one question that I pointed out earlier.  If you install
resolvconf, does that _necessarily_ imply that it is turned on?  i.e. I
can install apache, but I don't actually have to run apache even if it's
installed.  Does resolvconf have an on/off switch somewhere, or do you
have to uninstall it to turn it off?

resolvconf is not installed by default on Debian/Ubuntu.

The expectation, at least on Debian, is that if you install something it should be enabled.

Skimming through the resolvconf sources, it seems there is no global switch to turn it off. So I guess it's safe to say, the only real way to disable resolvconf, is to uninstall it (so I think the check for /sbin/resolvconf is sufficient to determine if resolvconf support in NM should be used or not).

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?