Re: Networkmanager Crash after update

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 09:03 +0100, James A wrote:
> Hi, I am not 100% sure this is Network Managers fault so forgive me if
> its not!
>
> I have a Hp Laptop and installed a ISO spin of fedora with base only
> install, I followed the instructions on Linux wireless to install the
> firmware (B43 cutter) and Networkmanager worked out of the box.
>
> I then before installing anything else ran a yum update -y and then
> found following login from gdm I got an instant crash (total freeze)
>
> By logging in as root and removing .gome2* from my home directory
> (thus removing the keys and so on) I could get back into my account.
> But then when I feed Networkmanager the details of wireless key etc as
> soon as I press OK the machine instantly freezes, even mouse pointer.
> (the green connecting bulbs just start to spin and lock up)
>
> As it is a total freeze I am having trouble with logs as they are not
> being generated as a power off is the only solution.
>
> [root localhost log]# rpm -qa |grep kernel
> kernel-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.x86_64
> kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64
> kerneloops-0.10-11.fc9.x86_64
>
> [root localhost log]# rpm -qa |grep Network
> NetworkManager-glib-0.7.0-0.9.4.svn3675.fc9.x86_64
> NetworkManager-gnome-0.7.0-0.9.4.svn3675.fc9.x86_64
> NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.9.4.svn3675.fc9.x86_64
>
> The 25-14 Kernel is the one I am using at this moment to post the
> message wireless all ok. The 2.6.25.5-55 is the kernel which crashes.

It's the kernel's fault; a kernel update that got pushed to fix a
critical security issue crashes when connecting to WEP networks and
using mac80211-based drivers (of which b43 is one).  Grab the packages
from this update:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-5893

downloadable here for all architectures:

I ran into this last Friday as well.  An updated kernel should be out
fairly soon.