Re: NM causes network to go down

Dan Williams skrev:
On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 17:27 +0100, Bjorge Solli wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to set up NM on Fedora 8 x86 and used yum to install the NetworkManager[-gnome] packages.

If I use 'chkconfig NetworkManager on' or start NetworkManager manually with the init.d-script, it results in the eth0 (cabled network) going down. Is there a way to get it to keep the existing connections?

No; when you start NetworkManager it will begin managing your
connections.  Is this a machine that you wish to leave unattended with
network access?
See I was a bit unclear. NM may take the network down as long as it takes it up again. I have network login and if no network is available noone can log in.

The strange thing is that I cannot even log in as root (not in gdm nor in text console), I had to reboot into runlevel 1 to do a chkconfig NetworkManager off! I really don't understand why root was denied as network is not needed for that.

Bjørge