Re: Connecting before logging in

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 10:47 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2008 7:15 AM, Diego Algorta Casamayou
> <diego algorta gmail com> wrote:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I use network-manager 0.6.5 that comes with my ubuntu gutsy 7.10
> > distro. It works ok. But I'd like to know if there's any chance for it
> > to connect *before* I log in into gnome. I'd like to be able to start
> > my notebook and use my wi-fi from a console without having to log in
> > into the GUI.
> >
> > Is it possible? How?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > --
> > Diego Algorta Casamayou
> > http://www.oboxodo.com - http://diego.algorta.net
> >

> That is not possible with version 0.6.5, that feature is planned for 0.7.

And mostly implemented already in 0.7 for Fedora/SUSE at least (really
any distro that uses ifcfg-* format files).  It works with both Wired
and Wireless (unencrypted & WEP) connections.  WPA support isn't there
yet mainly because the Fedora ifcfg-* files don't support WPA yet
either, and therefore I need to find out what SUSE is doing here and
copy that schema.

Dan