Re: NetworkManager & network service

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 10:06 +0100, Patrick Pichon (HP Service - C&I GWE)
wrote:
> dear all,
>
> Since I upgraded my system ( HP Laptop nc6400 ) to Fedora Core 8, I have
> a strange network behavior.
>
> network, NetworkManager, NetworkManagerDispatcher services are enable
>
> After the reboot ( without login in), I don't have any network
> connectivity. In the case where my laptop is plugin to the wired
> network, I cannot ping it from anywhere. After further investigation
> during the boot process, it looks :
>
>  - start of network service -> Laptop is getting an IP address and is
> pingable .
>  .
>  .
>  .
>  - start of NetworkManager -> Laptop is not pingable anymore
>  .
>  .
>  - End of boot
>
>  ( Still not pingable )...
>
>  - Of course, if now I start to log to the system, NM work is done and
> then it is pingable until I logout.
>
> Anyone experiencing such behavior ?

This behavior is expected until the system settings daemon is suitable
for use, because your network connections are stored in your user
session and are not available to NetworkManager 0.7 until you log in.
That's expected to be fixed quite soon.  It worked in NM 0.6.5 as a hack
but the more flexible architecture of 0.7 makes that specific hack much
more difficult to implement.  Instead it'll be corrected for real.

Dan