RE: Kernel drivers (newbie questions)

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Dan Williams
Enviado el: miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2008 17:23
Para: PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE
CC: networkmanager-list gnome org
Asunto: Re: Kernel drivers (newbie questions)

>If you really mean WRTXXX, that seems like an access point.  So it's not
"driven" by anything in Linux.  What actually happens is that the kernel
drives the wireless client adapter in your computer, and an application
like NetworkManager will tell the wireless client adapter to connect to
your WRTXXX access point.

Really is a WIFI Linksys WRTXXX router/USB card

>Each wireless adapter on your system has an "interface name" like "eth1"
or "wlan0".  You can see these by running 'iwconfig' from a terminal.
It is somewhat hard to know exactly what interface name matches up with
what _physical_ hardware that you have plugged into your machine if you
have more than one network adapter.

I think about a router and/or a USB card.

> Does network manager "manages" my PPP internet connection ?. Can I use
> it to link the PPP Internet access to a WiFi network ?.

>NetworkManager will manage mobile broadband connections, which use PPP
to establish internet connectivity over cellular networks.  It doesn't
yet support Bluetooth DUN or serial dialup, though that's planned and
not too hard.

Good. Because one can use a bluetooth cell phone MODEM (this is cell phone with an integrated MODEM, as nowadays the majority of the cell phones do).

I have a Conceptronic 200 USB Bluetooth card also to connect to my cell phone (although I prefer the Huawei ·E220 - included in the Linux Kernel - because it is HSDPA, this is, 3.5G broadband).

>If you are connecting to the internet over Wifi,

No nowadays. Really I would share my Huawei E220 modem Internet connection with other computers at home (home network).

>you shouldn't need PPP

The Internet connection is PPP (Huawei E220 USB modem: cell telephony modem).

>at all, since it's only used with cable modems, some ADSL USB modems,
dialup modems,

Yes, Huawei E220 is really a dialup MODEM.

>bluetooth DUN, and mobile broadband.  Ethernet and Wifi
don't need PPP.

I think there would be an automatic tool for this (share my PPP connection ) and a how-to.

Thank you.

Pedro.