netboot diskless workstation and VPN

Is it possible to allow network-manager-gnome applet to configure VPN
connections?  Many have found out (as I did, the hard way) that in
order to nfsroot boot you must setup the network manually (iface eth0
inet static/manual), thus network-manager ignores the interface and
doesn't break the boot process by reconfiguring network interface.
However, I just want network-manager to setup my VPN, which shouldn't
interrupt eth0 at all, right?  Is there any way to fool it?  I thought
maybe eth0:0 alias or something might work but no such luck..  I can't
even access the VPN menu, it just says "No network devices have been
found".

Thanks!

Brien