Re: [OT] Current list of recommended cards?

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 07:13 -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Can someone point me to current recommendations on Linux wireless
> cards for my home network.  I'm using WPA2 for security on my AP.

Anything Intel is usually an OK bet so far, but they of course are
built-in.  That's about the only blanket statement you can make.  For
other cards, it's sort of hit or miss.  PCI-E Atheros cards (especially
N-capable ones) are more likely to be supported and future-proofed now
that Atheros themselves are working on the drivers for that (ath9k)
upstream in the kernel, but there are some versions of older atheros
cards driven by ath5k that are rocky.

If it's a laptop, try:

http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=14660

or grab a mini-PCI -> PCI converter card for about $10 and mount the
ipw2200 in that.  Or get a *non-MIMO* Atheros card from somewhere
(usually advertised with 108Mbps rates or called "Super G").

Dan