Re: Mobile Broadband - how do I trace/debug the modem initialisation?

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:40 -0800, Bert Haverkamp wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> >So, I strongly suggest to hold off playing with PPP and instead wait for
> >some
> >shiny glittering features coming out soon...
>
> I'm a bit confused by this threat's ending. What is this spiffy feautre we
> are waiting for exactly.
> Can you give us an update on the support of this modem (the Dell 5530 in my
> case)
> with network-manager?

You can use this modem in two ways:

1) traditional style, with PPP: should work, though there may be a bug
where the modem echos garbage before it sends the CONNECT message, which
confuses NM.

2) using the 'mbm' driver: much higher throughput than using PPP, but:
    a) the driver is not usptream in the kernel yet
    b) requires ModemManager, which won't be added to NM until NM 0.8

What Per is saying is that you should wait for #2.  However, if #1
doesn't work for you, I'd like to know about it, so I can fix it.