vpn connection failure

I'm trying to get VPN to work on my Ubuntu 7.04 installation with
NetworkManager Applet 0.6.4. I'm using the same IP address, user name
and password that works on a vpn connection on my Windows box, but here
I keep getting this error message:

"VPN Connection Failure
Could not start VPN connection due to a connection error.
VPN Connection failed."

I can't seem to find anything on the NetworkManager page or elsewhere
that gives any instructions on configuring the VPN connection. Can
anyone help with this? (PS--there is no firewall running on the box
right now and still no connection.)

Thanks.