Re: NM not detecting device when kernel module unloaded

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 09:22 -0700, Daniel Qarras wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > otherwise it works all ok. Ie, rmmod ipw2200 && ./NetworkManager
> > > fails
> > > to detect my wireless interface but modprobe ipw2200 &&
> > > ./NetworkManager sees the wireless device. Is this a bug or a
> > > feature?
> >
> > What version of NM?
>
> Current SVN trunk.
>
> > Seems like a bug.  Can you grab the syslog output for around the time
> > that you rmmod the device?  Also run 'lshal --monitor'  before you
> > rmmod
> > it, hit return a bunch of times in that terminal after you do, then
> > modprobe it again and send that log too.
> >
> > It's a chain of udev -> hal -> NetworkManager, and we need to figure
> > out if HAL is sending out the device removal event.
>
> Um, please notice that I was doing rmmod/modprobe while NM was not
> running, so thing I was asking was whether NM should possibly init
> devices which have no kernel modules loaded when starting up. If I do
> rmmod/modprobe while NM is running then everything works like charm.

No, the kernel loads the modules when it probes the hardware.  If the
module isn't already loaded by the time userspace is up, then there's a
kernel issue (missing IDs, bug in driver probing, etc).  NetworkManager
should _never_ have to load modules.

dan