Re: NM not detecting device when kernel module unloaded

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 08:11 -0700, Daniel Qarras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that when starting NM while the kernel module for a network
> device has been unloaded, the device is not initialized/detected by NM,
> otherwise it works all ok. Ie, rmmod ipw2200 && ./NetworkManager fails
> to detect my wireless interface but modprobe ipw2200 &&
> ./NetworkManager sees the wireless device. Is this a bug or a feature?

What version of NM?

Seems like a bug.  Can you grab the syslog output for around the time
that you rmmod the device?  Also run 'lshal --monitor'  before you rmmod
it, hit return a bunch of times in that terminal after you do, then
modprobe it again and send that log too.

It's a chain of udev -> hal -> NetworkManager, and we need to figure out
if HAL is sending out the device removal event.