Edimax PCMCIA Card - rt61 Driver

I have been using Network Manager successfully for some time now with an
IPW2200 card.  The computer I was using died and I am now using a laptop
without a built in antenna so I am trying to use an Edimax EW-7108PCg
PCMCIA card.  It uses the serialmonkey rt61 driver.

I have put the old hard drive in the new laptop all settings are the
same with the exeption I have compiled and installed the rt61 driver and
the Edimax card.

Now when I boot up with my home network I am prompted for my keyring
password which I enter.  It tries to connect and I am prompted for my
passphrase or 128 bit key.  I enter it (it is already in keyring) but it
cannot connect.  I have the same problem with a public wifi hotspot that
has a passphrase.  Also,  at a public hotspot with no password it tries
to connect (one green dot) but cannot.

I can connect to my home network using the RutilT utility, however, the
send/receive email option is greyed out.  I have also connected to a
non-password public wifi spot using the command line, but , again I
can't send or receive email.

Anyone have any ideas what's up with this?

Thanks