Re: Using LEAP, WPA-EAP and CCMP with NetworkManager

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 07:45 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 17:46 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > At the risk of being shot down choose in nm-applet Connect to Other
> > > Wireless Network and a GUI will open up giving you a choice of LEAP, WPA
> > > with PEAP , etc.
> > >  However , in my case the GUI for WPA with PEAP  opened up automatically
> > > when I chose the AP using that protocol.
> >
> > I don't think there's a GUI option for LEAP as an eap method; it's
> > likely simple to add one though since it shouldn't require much behind
> > the scenes or in the UI at all.  Seems pretty easy.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> I am not sure what you mean. There are two different GUI based ways to get
>  LEAP authorization in NM. The first is an option in the default security
>  GUI as an alternative to WEP.
> The second is in the Connect to Other Wireless Network GUI as a security
>  option as as an alternative to WEP and various WPA options.
>
> However, Dan you know much more about NM than I do so I assume the problem
> is in the phrase "LEAP and an eap method" whose meaning is not clear to me.

You're right, there are two ways to use LEAP.  The first is the
old-school WEP-based LEAP, which actually uses a different 802.11b
authentication mode in the association request (as opposed to Open
System or Shared Key).  This is what's currently supported in the UI,
and what you get when you add:

key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
auth_alg=LEAP

to your wpa_supplicant config.

The second is actually WPA, but using LEAP as the authentication method
only.  You get this when you add:

key_mgmt=WPA
eap=LEAP

to your wpa_supplicant config.  This should really appear as an option
in the EAP Methods combo box, and this is what's not implemented that I
think the OP wants.