Re: auto-connect to vpn?

On Friday 14 September 2007 03:44:34 pm Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 14:22 -0700, Corey wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I just got a working NetworkManager + openvpn system going using gentoo
> > as the client and server, and knetworkmanager as the front-end for the
> > client(s).
> >
> > Very cool - this is great software!
> >
> > However, now I'm wondering whether it is possible to have NetworkManager
> > automatically connect to a particular openvpn connection once it has
> > brought up the local interface? Otherwise, the end-users are bound to
> > forget to manually connect to the vpn themselves everytime.
>
> Not with 0.6.5, no...  You could create a tool (maybe in python) that
> monitors NM to figure out when the interface you care about has come up,
> and then tell NM to bring up the VPN.

THanks for the response!

You know of the best resource(s) to begin with that documents scripting
with NetworkManager, so I can try rolling something up myself? For instance,
how to start networkmanager-openvpn pragmatically?

Will I be doing this through an API, or just scripting/parsing system
commands?