Re: Control Network Manager from Command Line

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 16:21 -0600, Blayde wrote:
> I've seen that nm-tool will tell which wireless network is being used,
> but is there any way to actually change/connect to a wireless network
> from the command line? I've got an old laptop that I'm trying to use
> w/o a gui as much as possible... Any help is much appreciated.

The best way is actually through python using dbus, because python makes
talking to dbus-enabled services insanely easy.  Otherwise you can use
straight C if you like, but that's much more complicated.  Both the
applet and nm-tool use D-Bus to talk to NetworkManager, so the same
interfaces they use are available from anywhere.  You may also want to
look at dbus-send, which allows you to do things like:

dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.getDevices