Re: Patch. Do not wipe out resolv.conf when there is no name servers returned by DHCP

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 12:23 +0300, Viktors Petrovs wrote:
> When i connect through a PPTP to remote network and USEPEERDNS is
> unselected, /etc/resolv.conf gets wiped out. This issue exists in Feisty
> and in Gutsy too. I have made patch to correct this by simply not to
> update resolv.conf (leave intact) when there is no name servers returned
> by DHCP. Now PPTP is working for me correctly (as i expect).

The DNS settings should be merged together, not ignore completely.  IE
if VPN doesn't provide DNS settings, then the DNS settings of the
underlying interface (possibly from DHCP) should be merged into the
VPN's IP config.  I think Tim Niemueller did a patch for that that I
have to dig up.