Re: Oddities with NM 0.7

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 11:06 -0500, Clark Williams wrote:

> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:55 -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
> > I've been having trouble with NetworkManager 0.7 on my rawhide laptop (T60 with
> > iwl3945 wireless part running latest iwlwifi drivers), ever since it came out. The
> > main symptom I'm seeing is the following in syslog:
> >
> > Oct 13 02:30:57 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  Trying to start the supplicant...
> > Oct 13 02:32:03 localhost NetworkManager:last message repeated 11 times
> >
> > No wireless. If I downgrade to the f7 set of packages (NetworkManager*,
> > wireless-tools, dhcdbd, wpa_supplicant, libdhcp4client, and dhclient), NetworkManager
> > works fine.
> >
> > I've also seen the latest rawhide packages cause problems with wired connections
> > (e1000 driver). The wired connection will come up, then NM will take it down and try
> > to start a wireless session.
> >
> > I've had this laptop on rawhide for quite some time, so it's entirely possible that
> > there's some stale config information out there causing one of the components
> > problems. Any suggestions on how to track down what's going wrong?
> >
> >> Can you grab /var/log/messages from the machine?  It might be the
> >> autoconnect thing; up to F8T3 NM didn't have the logic to connect to the
> >> last known network, which was added later.  If you used NM before you
> >> won't have 'autoconnect' set up on that connection.  Check GConf
> >> in /system/networking/connections, find your "auto eth0" connection, and
> >> make sure that 'autoconnect' is checked.
>
> Dan,
>
> Thanks, I was running into the autoconnect problem. I ran gconf-editor and checked
> autoconnect for my eth0 and it now connects just fine. But, I'm still seeing:
>
> Oct 15 22:01:15 localhost NetworkManager: <info>  Trying to start the supplicant...
> Oct 15 22:02:21 localhost NetworkManager:last message repeated 11 times
>
> I am running a current rawhide and made a pass through /etc and fixed some out of
> date configs (bitten by .rpmnew), but I'm still not seeing my iwl3945 wlan connection
> in the NM applet (and I do on same kernel(s) with f7 NM/wpa_supplicant/et al).

Do you
have /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.conf ?

Try running, as root:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -u

if that works, then something is going wrong in the dbus service
activation of wpa_supplicant.  You said SELinux was disabled, or just in
permissive?  It's worked fine in permissive everywhere I've tried it so
far.

Dan