Re: Problems with ipw3945

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 23:07 +0100, Martin Ginkel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on my notebook I'm trying to user NM to access wireless networks.
> There is a larger problem with setting essids and
> associating/disassociating
> to APs.

0.6.5, right?

> Apparently the card assumes to interpret the essid "" (empty) to be *any*.

Yeah, that's the standard behavior.

> Therefore it associates immediately to the next ap.
> I watched this with iwevent.
> Nm first sets the essid to "" to disassociate, later it sets the id, I
> selected
> in the menu. But the card is already associated by the "" setting and
> NM waits forever for an association event after setting the id.

Well, the driver needs to send the association event whenever it gets an
association request, even if that association request is for the same AP
that it's already associated with.  This seems like a driver bug to me.
Association requests must always be followed by either a failed
association event, or a valid associated AP event.  It sounds like the
ipw3945 driver isn't doing that.

Dan