Re: FW: integration with /etc/network/interfaces

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:13:35AM +0100, Henry Andrew wrote:
> It does not seem that there is any integration with
> /etc/network/interfaces at all, and that there is no equivalent way of
> scripting in custom pre-up/post-down commands etc. like you can with
> standard networking.
>
> Seems like NetworkManager sits on top of standard Linux networking and
> is not a functionally equivalent tool.  Are they mutually
> incompatible?

The concepts of NetworkManager and ifupdown don't go together well,
which is why we decided to make these mutually exclusive in gutsy.

We (ubuntu) will revisit this decision once network-manager 0.7 gets
to a state where you can bring up multiple devices at the same time.

Thanks,

 - Alexander