Re: integration with /etc/network/interfaces

> If there is an equivalent tool supplied with network-manager, does it do
> exactly the same thing that /etc/init.d/networking restart does,
> including restarting the nm-applet stuff?

To restart NetworkManager on Ubuntu, run:

/etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart
/etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher restart

These scripts are not located in /etc/init.d, I suppose, because they
are executed only in the event that a network card is detected, or
plugged in (like a USB WLAN stick).

To restart nm-applet, you can use (in bash):

killall nm-applet
nm-applet --sm-disable &

HTH,
Paulus