Re: nm-applet do not show my wireless

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 00:27 -0400, Alejandro Adam wrote:
> Hi
>

> I just installed linux (debian 4.0) on a dell inspiron 5100 laptop with
> a broadcom 4306 rev 02 wireless chip. I have the bcm43xx module loaded
> in the kernel, the firmware on /lib/firmware and everything working.
> iwconfig sees it as eth2 and the connection is automatic at boot time.
> In fact, I'm using that wireless connection to write this message.

It is likely the device is not recognized by HAL, or that NetworkManager
is not allowed to talk to HAL.  For the first, run 'lshal' and see if
the 'eth2' device is shown somewhere in the output.  If so, does the
eth2 device have the "net.80211" capability?  Should look like this:

  <snip>
  info.category = 'net.80211'  (string)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_4220'  (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/class/net/eth0'  (string)

If it doesn't, you need to upgrade your wireless driver.  What version
are you using, and what kernel version?

Dan