Selecting among multiple WAPs with the same SSID (again)

Here's a use case that I don't recall having been considered in previous discussions of this issue.

I am sitting in an area where there are several WAPs with the same ESSID. The WAPs have different capabilities--some are 802.11b, and some are bg. I seem to have connected initially to one of the 11b ones, and there seems to be nothing I can do to switch to one of the bg ones.

If it's not feasible to give the user a choice of BSSIDs, would it be possible to have the connection algorithm give some preference to the more capable AP, and/or to re-evaluate which of several BSSIDs to choose when making connection decisions?

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu