If WiFi is off during boot I can turn it on afterwards and connect. Otherwise, no go.

I can connect to my wireless router only if I switch off the wifi before I boot linux. Once booted, I switch it on, at which point it prompts me for my keyring password.
It takes quite a while but if finally authenticates and connects.
If I boot with it switched on it won't authenticate. Switching off and on at this point does no good.
Any clue as to why this might be the case?
This is a 3 week old Toshiba Laptop running the latest Feisty upgrades.

Thanks,

Karl