Re: forcing 802.11a association

Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:

>> > It will see the channels, but if you have the same SSID on both bands,
>> > it's completely up to wpa_supplicant and the driver itself what band it
>> > decides to use for the association, since NM doesn't pass the channel.
>> > I'd guess that the card just reports scan results for the b/g band
>> > first, and therefore that's the BSSID that wpa_supplicant picks.
>> >
>> > Dan
>>
>> I've noticed that the iwl3945 driver doesn't even report the (a) band
>> results when the BSSID is the same on both (a) and (b/g).
>
> That seems quite wrong from a driver point of view; it shouldn't be
> coalescing the networks that aggressively internally.  Unless, of
> course, the A band radio and the B/G band radio of a specific AP have
> the same BSSID/MAC address... do they for you?

Like I said, "the BSSID is the same on both (a) and (b/g)", so, yes,
my AP (a D-Link) has the same BSSID/MAC on both bands.  I do not
believe there is any way for me to change this.  In fact, it uses
the same BSSID/MAC on ALL three "interfaces" (802.3, 802.11a, and 802.11b/g)

> Dan

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available