Re: Executing commands at home and elsewhere

On 6/19/07, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 22:27 +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've pretty much just discovered NetworkManager, as it so neatly started
> to light up on my (K)Ubuntu Feisty-based laptop.
>
> At home, I have set up a file server and a router, and I have an NFS
> server running on it. So, my plan is that when my laptop is at home, it
> should mount the NFS, start synching over stuff like email, do backups,
> etc. If, OTOH, it is not at home, the bandwidth isn't all that good,
> and it should only try to mount the drive using SSHFS, and do none of
> the synching.
>
> So, I was writing some scripts to do this, using ARP to check the MAC of
> the router to figure out if it was at home. But then I realized I was
> reinventing the wheel, and came to the conclusion that this is likely
> something that should be done within the NetworkManager framework.
>
> So, my first question is if this has been done before, and if so how?
> And if not, how would one get started to get this running?

There's a tool called NetworkManagerDispatcher that calls scripts
in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d when connections go up and down that
most people use for this sort of thing, actually.  There's a FAQ and a
list of scripts that people have done somewhere that I forget at the
moment :)  But if you're interested in it, I can try to dig it up for
your (or others will before I get to it).

Dan

> Cheers,
>
> Kjetil

Here is one list (Though it is somewhat short since I haven't seen any posted lately):
http://www.darrenalbers.net/wiki/index.php?title=NetworkManagerScripts

I think what you want is to use something whereami in conjunction with NetworkManagerDispatcher.