Executing commands at home and elsewhere

Hi all!

I've pretty much just discovered NetworkManager, as it so neatly started
to light up on my (K)Ubuntu Feisty-based laptop.

At home, I have set up a file server and a router, and I have an NFS
server running on it. So, my plan is that when my laptop is at home, it
should mount the NFS, start synching over stuff like email, do backups,
etc. If, OTOH, it is not at home, the bandwidth isn't all that good,
and it should only try to mount the drive using SSHFS, and do none of
the synching.

So, I was writing some scripts to do this, using ARP to check the MAC of
the router to figure out if it was at home. But then I realized I was
reinventing the wheel, and came to the conclusion that this is likely
something that should be done within the NetworkManager framework.

So, my first question is if this has been done before, and if so how?
And if not, how would one get started to get this running?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer