Re: Trouble getting NetworkManager working from SVN

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 14:23 -0400, Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> I have been having some trouble getting the latest development snapshot of NM
> to work.  It looks like there have been some changes to the DBUS interface,
> so that only the newest GNOME applet will work, but this applet is broken.
> Are there any other applets or methods of using NM, at least for the time
> being (for testing)?

Not really :)  0.7 is under heavy development right now...

If you'd like something to start on in the mean time, it would be great
to get the rfkill support in HAL 0.5.9 and later hooked in NM 0.6.x.

First, verify from DavidZ or Bastien that HAL sends signals on rfkill
changes to an interface.  If it doesn't, the NM needs to periodically
poll the rfkill stuff in HAL to figure out when the interface is killed
and when it's back on.  Say, every 5 seconds or so.

If HAL _does_ send signals, great, NM should just listen for those and
do the right thing (ie, deactivate the device and turn its link off so
that it won't be autochosen by the code in NetworkManagerPolicy.c).
Then I think the applet needs a few changes to deal with this, and the
fact that it apparently doesn't listen to wireless enabled/disabled
signals from NM to update its state when the rfkill switch is thrown.

Sound like something you'd like to work on?

Thanks!