Re: Why eth1 and not eth0 ?

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Dan Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 20:38 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
On Tuesday 23 January 2007 19:53, Timothy Murphy wrote:
On Tuesday 23 January 2007 23:31, Derek Broughton wrote:
As a matter of interest, why has my NetworkManager
started using eth1 in place of eth0, which it used to use?

Probably you are using a different card...

Same card. Sorry

Is there anywhere I can specify which device I want to use?

If so, check /etc/iftab

[tim martha ~]$ less /etc/iftab
/etc/iftab: No such file or directory

In which case, investigate whether iftab is available under your distro - it's
used in Ubuntu to tie a MAC address to a specific interface. As Dan said,
udev can assign the interface numbers apparently randomly (my eth0 & eth1
frequently exchange positions, but my network configuration is set up so as
not to care).

And that's the point; NM means you don't _need_ to care what the device
name is.  Really, you shouldn't ever need to look at it, nor care what
it's value is.  I don't tie my devices to MAC addresses, and they switch
around every now and again, but it doesn't matter to me as they always
do the right thing under NetworkManager.

Sometimes it does make a difference, though, to other tools. I have an annoying license manager for some commercial software that keys off the HWADDR of eth0. When they flip, I can't run my software. GNOME's network monitor applets get very confused when the wireless and wired interfaces flip.

If this is Fedora, make sure you have the latest initscripts. In Red Hat and Fedora, the hardware bindings are in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu