Problem with NW Manager

This may be a noob question, but I'm, having issues with wireless and getting NW manager to function.
Computer IBM Thinkpad R40
WiFi Card is IBM a/b/g card w/ Aetheros chipset
I am able to get the card to work on my home network, with WPA
Network Monitor shows active connection.
But Network Manager says no network connection, while the connection is actually working. If I only used this machine at home, this would not be such a problem. I also can't get a wireless connection to my work address to connect, even though WPA_Supplicant has the correct info.

Any thoughts on where I could start looking?
Is this a known problem?