Re: udev rules to turn networkmanager on and off?

On Sunday 07 January 2007 01:58, Matt Price wrote:

> I have a tablet (compaq tc1000) with a flaky atmel wireless card that
> cuts out about once a day.  When that happens, I can't get the carad to
> start back up again without rebooting, and sometimes even that doesn't
> work.
>
> Foretunately I have a prism2_usb wireless device that I can just plug in
> to the ocmputer when that happens.  The device works fine but doesn't
> play with network-manager proerly -- n-m sees it, but isn't able to
> identify networks to which it might connect.
>
> The solution isn't so difficult -- I just stop n0m with (in ubuntu):
> I have a dumb little script that does what I want:
> this works fine for me, but I'd like to have this script triggered
> automagically by udev or something.  I was just wondering whether there
> was an obvious way to do this through udev; or if maybe there's also a
> better way to do it.

Use the "PROGRAM=" key in a udev rule.   If the rule is only ever executed for
your prism2 device, then it can safely always return exit code 0.  Strictly,
this is intended to run a program which will determine if this rule is to be
applied to a particular device, but nothing says it can't have side effects.
--
derek